1. Celine Aviator Sunglasses | 2. Oribe Signature Conditioner | 3. Clare Vivier Foldover Clutch | 4. Alexander Wang Perfecto Leather Jacket | 5. Animal Lacquer Jewelry Box | 6. Diptyque Baies Niore/Black Berries Candle | 7. Black Carved Deer Head | 8. Zara High Heel Ankle Boots with Buckles | 9. NARS Eye Paint | 10. AllSaints Viper Skirt | 11. Black Charcoal Pencil Set
via design crush
Happy Friday! C & I are deep in the throws of wedding planning, and I’m quickly discovering my sanity level is closely correlated with the number of boxes I’ve checked on my checklist. Wedding season in Oregon is a really miniature time window, taking the stress of getting your top choice of vendors to a whole new level. My advice to future brides? If you’ve just got to have your wedding during busy season, plan your wedding for a Friday (if you plan to have your guests booze it up) or Sunday (if you’re looking for a more laid back, brunch wedding). Fridays and Sundays mean way less competition for vendors and venues.
Reception napkins have been the recent focus of debate, but these napkins are so great it makes the choice seem easy.
Brown butter brussels sprouts pasta with hazelnuts. Tell me that doesn’t sound delicious.
Would it be weird to start using these Oscars straws for everyday use? Think of the possibilities! Why yes, that is Ryan Gosling hanging out on my straw…
Speaking of Oscars, can I commission this little designer to create a reception dress for me?
OMG, go eat a cronut for me tomorrow, C.
Favorite Instagrammer: @caitlinclairexo
Best Sale: This badass Saks Fifth Avenue Gift with Purchase
Favorite Blog: Garland of Grace
Need to know: How to advance in a male-dominated world
Best Useless Information: Frame by frame figure skating
In preparation for my upcoming engagement shoot, I did some research on makeup that photographs well. If you’re not a makeup guru, doing your own makeup (for photos that will be around for a lifetime) can be a daunting task. I’ve only recently developed an real interest in makeup, for which my mother is so pleased, but I feel totally behind the curve on perfecting the smokey eye and other beauty trends. Below is a compilation of the best tips and tricks that I’ve found, the best rated products, and some seriously helpful YouTube tutorials.
Tips and Tricks:
- You hopefully already know the importance of SPF in your daily beauty routine, but I’m going to tell you to forget all that, just this once. SPF in your foundation and primers can leave you looking shiny in photographs, so select a primer and foundation without SPF for your engagement photos or big day. If you absolutely require SPF, test out some primers with SPF before the big day by photographing yourself under different types of lighting.
- Your everyday makeup will likely not be enough. Photographs can leave just about any one looking washed out without a decent amount of product. So for your big day, think darker eyes, bolder lip color, and a bit more blush than usual. If the thought of caking on the makeup scares you, check out some expert YouTube tutorials below for foolproof application methods.
- Use you right concealer for different areas of your face. Check out this comprehensive concealer guide from Lauren Conrad for everything you need to know.
- Use a setting powder or spray to extend the life of your makeup. Many brands are coming up with makeup setting products these days, so you may have to test a few to see which one you like best. See our recommendations below for our favorite products.
- Start a beauty regime early and try to follow it strictly to get your skin in tip-top shape. Keeping your skin type in mind, find a moisturizer, cleanser, toner, and mask that works for you. You might also consider getting regular facials. You never know how your skin might react to a facial, so you’ll want to do a test run a few months in advance and get into a regular habit of getting them until the wedding. This also means drinking lots of water, which will also benefit your metabolism. Double duty!
Products for making your look last:
- Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion
- MAKE UP FOR EVER HD Microfinish Powder
- Nurturing Force Blot Out Offensive
- MAKE UP FOR EVER 5 Camouflage Cream Palette
- Urban Decay All Nighter Long-Lasting Makeup Setting Spray
- Dior Antiflash Matte Touch
- Temptu Pro Setting Powder (not pictured)
Best YouTube Tutorials:
- My personal favorite is Jen of “From Head to Toe.” The girl always looks stunning and has some great tips I had never heard before. Check out her Bridal Wedding Makeup Tutorial and her million other helpful videos.
- I could listen to Lauren from LaurenBeautyy talk all day. It doesn’t hurt that she has great product recommendations and covers all areas of the bridal beauty look in one video. Also, can we talk about how easily she puts on those falsies?
- I love Nitraa B’s video because she’s a fellow bride-to-be, and she manages to bring color into the wedding day look without looking crazy.
- Okay, maybe I’ve got a thing for accents, but Lisa Gregory’s romantic bridal makeup tutorial is easy to follow and she does a great job of contouring. Seriously, it’s amazing.
- Noticing a trend here? Makeup artists love their Urban Decay Naked Palette. Sona Gasparian is no exception. She also uses a facial serum with 24K gold in it. How could you not feel like a million bucks?
Here’s to looking beautiful on your big day! Let us know what your favorite wedding makeup tips and products are in the comments! Check back next week for the last installment of our Bridal Beauty Guide.
1. Restoration Hardware Luxe Faux Fur Infinity Scarf | 2. Bobbi Brown Glitter Nail Polish | 3. Ethan Allen Rose and Hydrangea Water Garden | 4. Missoni Home Giacomo Towels | 5. Zara Hooded Parka | 6. Rifle Paper Winter Berries Gift Tags | 7. Suzannah Doris Day Dress | 8. Naturopathica Pumpkin Purifying Enzyme Peel | 9. Amazonian Clay Waterproof Cream Eyeshadow and Blush | 10. Tory Burch Robinson Nylon Duffel
1. Givenchy Leather Sandal with Golden Plate| 2. Gold Moroccan Leather Pouf | 3. Isabel Marant Johnson Jacket | 4. Clinique High Impact Mascara | 5. Carven Fawn Print Split Pencil Skirt | 6. The new iPhone 5S | 7. Oscar de la Renta Crystal Bow Ring | 8. Deborah Lippman Shape of my Heart Nail Polish | 9. Cynthia Rowley Spring 2014
5. theBalm’s Hot Mama Highlighting Powder Eyeshadow and Blush: I’ve even gotten my mom addicted to this one (although, to be fair, she’s always way ahead of me on the beauty curve). The gold shimmer brings a hint of glam not offered with your everyday blush, but is subtle enough to be worn anywhere. Not to mention, the color looks great on all skin types.
6. Benefit Cosmetics Stay Flawless 15-hour Primer: Those ladies who work long days with hectic schedules rarely have time to refresh make-up during the day. This product was made for them, but there’s nothing stopping the rest of us
lazy gals from using it too!
7. Youngblood Anti-Shine Mattifier: Okay, I had to throw in another for my oily complected gals. I discovered this miracle-worker when I was stressing over how to stay shine-free during Mike and I’s engagement shoot. In the summer. In the South. Do you need more proof?
8. Dr. Jart+ Black Label Detox BB Beauty Balm: This list would not be complete without a beauty balm. Who can say no to a purifying face cream that hides blemishes and evens out skin tone?
Seeing spots this Monday morning. These Banana Republic beauties are sold out online, but may we recommend the Camden. (Wedges: Steve Madden)
Tried a fresh summer quinoa recipe this weekend, courtesy of Big Girls, Small Kitchen. Add this one to your recipe book, ladies, it’s a keeper.